Wider Church Fund Grants
The Wider Church Fund was established by the Synod Council in 2004. These grants are intended to help fund programs outside of our synod’s regular operating budget. In 2011, the Synod Council established a Benevolence Task Force for the purpose of developing an application process for these grants, to serve as the entity to review grant applications received, and make recommendations to the Bishop. This has opened up the application process to a wider array of non-profit entities and provides those in our synod with the opportunity to encourage well-deserving entities to apply for a grant.
Examples of grants made in recent years are Lutheran Music Program, Koinonia, New York Interfaith Power & Light, Seafarers and International House, Mwangaza Education for Partnership, Association of Lutheran Church Musicians, Seafarer’s & International House, Lutheran Church in Liberia, Trauma Healing and Reconciliation Program, and Trinity Healing Center.
General criteria for grants:
1. Must be a 501(c)3 organization in existence for three or more years
2. The grant cannot be used for capital needs
3. Hunger programs are not eligible for these grants
4.Individuals may not apply for these grants
5. Congregations may not apply for these grants
6. Organizations that have received a grant in each of the prior three (3) years may not apply for a grant in the current year
Download the application here. The application deadline for 2020 grants is November 15, 2019.
Please contact Sue Brandt, Director of Finance, Administration and Grant Management, at 212-870-2378 in the synod office if you have any questions regarding the application process.