October 23, 2022
The First Lutheran Church celebrated one hundred years as a community of Christ in Throggs Neck, NY. In June of 1922, Pastor Oscar Mees of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in the Bronx purchased six lots near Barley Avenue for $6,000 to include a barn that was turned into the first sanctuary for the small congregation of First Lutheran Church of Throggs Neck. The Reverend Merton Baseler was installed in October 1922 as its first full-time minister. As the congregation grew it became necessary to build a bigger sanctuary and in October 1930 ground-breaking ceremonies were carried out for a new building located on Eastern Boulevard (now Bruckner) across from P.S. 14. The new building was dedicated on April 19, 1931. In 1938, the church was torn down to widen Bruckner Blvd. The old barn was still there and served as a sanctuary again until a new church was built on Baisley Ave and Bruckner Blvd. The red brick colonial-style church was dedicated on April 26, 1942.
We celebrated 100 years of service with a special worship service on October 23, 2022, a dinner, and a dance.