Video and Audio Recommendations for Live-streaming or Recording
FREE VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE
- For Windows:
- Open Shot: is a free open source simple video editor
- VSDC: there are paid and free versions of this software but the free version gives you some good capabilities
- For Mac
- iMovie: tested and true simple drag and drop editor
EQUIPMENT YOU PROBABLY ALREADY HAVE
- Your smartphone: your phone’s camera is probably the best camera you have. Use the rear facing camera when you can, it’s the better camera.
- Computer built-in webcam, these lag behind phones but are often very good.
- Extra lights, the light should be in front of you, and should be bright but softer and reflected back at you if possible. If the light is too direct, try covering with paper or light cloth, or reflect it (think tin foil.). Watch for heat if using older lamps
- Headphones with built-in mic like AirPods, Apple wired headphones, earbuds with a mic in the line. These make a big difference. Just plug into your computer or smartphone. If using Bluetooth headphones, they need to be high quality to avoid lag.
SUB $100 EQUIPMENT
- Phone tripod or phone adapter for traditional tripod
- Basic Webcam (bonus if it can be attached to a tripod)
- Lapel mic for a phone (there are lots of options for these on Amazon)
- Ring lights: these are LED light made to distribute light