We're Praying for...
• The family and friends of The Rev. Thomas A. Smith, who who died in Christ on Tuesday, January 15, 2019. See obituary, here.
• The family and friends of The Rev. Gordon J. Straw, Cornelsen Chair for Spiritual Formation at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC), who died in Christ on Saturday, January 5, 2019
• The federal workers and all affected by the government shutdown
• The asylum seekers who are waiting to be processed at our southern border
• Our work toward shaping a more inclusive church that welcomes and affirms all of God's people, specifically our LGBTQIA+ brothers, sisters, and siblings
• Refugees, immigrants and asylum seekers, and those who come to their aid
• Those affected by violence in their schools, workplaces, and homes
• The unity of this church and its mission
• MNYS congregations, partners, and leaders
• Peace in our world
• Peace in our nation
• The care of God's creation
• ELCA Young Adult in Global Mission, The Rev. Kim Crawford and The Rev. Henry Martinez, serving in Australia
• ELCA missionary Dr. Ambrose Moyo, serving in Zimbabwe
• MNYS missionary Melanie Nelson, and her husband David Kingery, serving in Bukoba, Tanzania
• Bishop Rodger Prois, the staff, and the people of the Western Iowa Synod
Do you have a prayer request? Let us know.
We envision a synod where everyone in every congregation is praying for every other congregation, one day at a time…asking that the Holy Spirit enter their hearts so that they may be moved to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
Our prayer calendar serves to encourage our many prayer partners to hold a congregation of the synod in prayer every single day of the year. In this way, each of our congregations will have been prayed for at least once in 365 days. The prayer calendar is widely shared throughout the synod. Many congregations print the prayer calendar in their Sunday bulletins week by week. During the intercessory prayers at worship on Sunday mornings, congregations and pastors are added to the petitions.
Each worshiping community, then, becomes intentional about lifting up all the brothers and sisters in Christ, no matter how far their worship spaces may be from the praying community.
Download the current Prayer Calendar:
Daily and Seasonal Resources
Resources for digging
deeper in the Bible.
Downloadable Bible studies
based on the lectionary.